The No Goofy Zone Discernment Ministry

The No Goofy Zone is a discernment ministry for saved born again Christians and all who are seeking the truth.We expose non-biblical trends in the church. We are making material available to advance understanding of issue's which endanger Christianity. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Piqua, Ohio, United States

Former drummer for Gary Lewis and The Playboys and The Coasters. Tim has also played with Paul Baloche, Lincoln Brewster, Darlene Zscech and Hillsongs, Jeff Fenholt, SteveCamp among others. Tim founded The Simply Agape Project in 2001 to get free Christian music to the troops. Recordings have been made with Tim, and friends Alex Acuna, Abe Laboriel SR, Justo Almario,Steve Camp , Jared Ming and some wonderful Independant Christian artists.The Somebody Brave CD also features words of encouragment to the soldiers from Pastors, Moms, Dads, and Lt Col Brian Birdwell a Pentegon 9/11 survivor Tim is married to Donna Wirth and has four children Alan 25,Steven 23, Brittany 22, Bethany 21. Tim has played in numerous churchs as well as shows on TBN. Tim has also performed on JCTV on the show Generation Worship featuring worship leader Jared Ming. Tim has a book published worldwide titled "Pass The Plate And Let Us Prey" (My Search For Black and White Christianity in a Gray Nation)

Monday, March 10, 2008

Responce to Operating Outside The Gifts God Gives You Gifts

My recent article "Operating outsideThe Gifts God Gives You" was not intended to expose or attack any one church but list some of the goofy things going on in the Body of Christ under the guise of fun.
I sent the article around to any musicians I had in my Inbox as well as some other discernment ministries.
One of the things mentioned in the article about the throwing of beachballs was something that did happen at the church I was currently attending Upper Valley Community Church (A Nazarene church) here in Piqua , Ohio.
Even though I believe that throwing beachballs around during the end of a service while playing a praise song is a goofy and carnal thing it would not warrant me leaving or breaking fellowship with a church.
The pastor of this church after hearing about my article emailed around a response and I thought it was only fair to post his comments here for all to see where he and his church stands.
This pastor seems to think its ok to let a unsaved person be part of the platform.
Being part of any worship team is not only a ministry position but a leadership position.
I will address this in a follow up article.
And this church is not the only church that has this practice.
It seems though only talented unsaved people can participate I have yet to see a mediocre musician or singer allowed to participate.
We need to show compassion for those who have not yet been saved by our Lord Jesus Christ.
But allowing a unsaved person in a ministry and leadership position is getting the cart way before the horse.
Im glad the person mentioned is now a saved Christian but the ends never justifies the means.
And this was a man made initiative not a scripture allowed practice.
I was not aware of this practice before I started playing for this team.
So this practice was not mentioned in my article as something I had been exposed to in this church.
I will not be part of this team again until this practice is repented of as error
Here is his statement -


"Greetings,

I just wanted to let you know that the recent email you may have received entitled “Operating Outside the Gifts God Gives You” does not reflect my views or the views of Upper Valley Community Church.

While I do want the worship experience at UVCC to be of the highest quality possible, I do not hold to the idea that only those who are extremely blessed with musical talent should participate. And while showing up for practice is a plus, I recognize that not everyone can make the practice times during the week. We still want all of you who participate on Sundays to continue.

Undoubtedly there are many ways worship can be conducted. God can be glorified in many ways. The approach that we have taken here at UVCC (and at this time plan to continue to take) has led many to Christ and into a deeper relationship him. We strive to be a seeker friendly church as well as a church where people can develop strong roots in the Lord. For example, one of our key band members was not a Christian when he first started playing. Music drew him not only to God but also to ministry.

We will continue to be an uplifting, Spirit-filled (and fun-filled – can there be a difference?) church. I greatly appreciate all who have been serving the Lord through their musical talent. Keep up the good work and let’s see where God leads us!

In Christ,

Pastor Paul
End of statement

I will be doing a general follow up article on this later on during the week.
And I do stand by my comments in my article.
Peace
Tim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Zimbio
Top Stories